Wednesday, September 12, 2007

WINDOWS VISTA UPGRADE. Should you upgrade or not?

Duration: 08:27 minutes
Upload Time: 07-02-10 01:06:53
User: NightFlyyer
:::: Favorites
:::: Top Videos of Day
Description:

READ THIS! My VISTA IS NOW RUNNING over 9 months and works perfectly from the clean install. Also, there ARE so 1 GHZ processors (for those who say there is no such thing)! And the case opening scenario is a PARODY! (A Joke, just for fun!) It even states right on the Vista Box you need at least a 1 GHZ processor. A GIG is a Gig, whether it is Hz or Bytes or Kleenexes, so stop making ignorant comments! I'm a retired (15 months ago) (Microsoft Systems Engineer)Burroughs/Unisys. I did plenty of research before I started the upgrade and with my colleagues too. Vista has only been out 5 months, so many issues are still to be discovered. And if you think I'm alone, just Google "Vista installation problems" and see for yourself! This video was made to let my OLDER customers (who want to upgrade) know there MAY be issues and to expect them. Also, I have TOP QUALITY computer parts that are less than 2 yrs old, so don't say to me "You have an OLD CRAPPY computer" after looking at my case that even has a Hard Drive Dock built in front! (How old is yours)? Your Pre-judging!! If MS comes out with Vista 2, are you going to run down and buy a new computer...? You young folks with obvious unlimited funds, (who must be buying new computers every year to keep up with Microsoft) forget that some of us old computer pioneers don't waste money or want to waste that many man hours re-loading 12 years of programs and their ONLINE updates that can't get backed up. (Of course you younger computer guys, who haven't been in it that long), don't have many programs to loose, I guess!) All Windows upgrades since 95 worked! BESIDES, the windows UPGRADE adviser said I COULD upgrade to Windows Vista HOME basic (which you would assume means also the more expensive Premium too) and mentioned nothing about my motherboard. So "Get a tech at Staples to do it for me", you say!? Come on, give me a break! The techs around here, still don't even have XP wired yet, so you think they know everything about Vista in 5 months? Where did they go to school, like I did? And for you folks who say "Put Vista on a second partition". Come on! You still have to re-install the programs you want to run in Vista on that partition too or you have REBOOT each time to go back to run them in XP. That is a total waste of space and time. (Again, you can't just switch back to XP without Re BOOTING!) Think about that inconvenience! Then some of you say "Just do a backup of your files and all will be well", which is just as ignorant! Why? Because you still have to install all those XP programs in the VISTA OS to run those files. (It's kinda like saving all your music CD's but having nothing to play them on!) Some of those old software programs (That I use and like) haven't even been RE-WRITTEN to run on Vista Yet! I changed my hardware (against my will), and put my (old???) 200Gb ATA XP drive in as a second drive. (See my response video on how to change a motherboard). Once everything was running well and my programs re-installed, I cloned the whole new Vista system on a brand new backup hard drive, as I do for many of my customers and put it away, in case of a HD failure. Then if something goes wrong, I'll just pop it in and it will boot up. All of you should do that anyway, because nothing is 100% and hard drives fail. Why lose it all again? And for you who say "Why don't I have a DVD Player in my machine? "Geez! Give me a break! I watch DVDs on my big screen HDTV, not on the computer! I already spend too much time in front of the computer, let alone sit and watch a dvd movie too! All software used to be on CDs not DVDs. I have been asked to teach computer classes in a city near me, where there are 27 computers in the the Senior Center. Guess what? None of them have DVDs, yet those older folks are craving to learn Vista and want to upgrade. (Were not dead yet, kiddos!) That requires putting in DVDs in each one...which will be expensive for them. Then some of you said, "You could get 5 cds from Microsoft to install Vista". Let me tell you, there is nothing on the box that says that anywhere! When I asked the guys at Best Buy (where I bought my copy) about that, they all said "no way" and didn't sell anything like that either. If that was an option, they would have it. Come on! Downloading the Vista upgrade is just as worthless, if it won't run and in all likely hood, it won't on computers that are only 2 years old with XP SP2, a SHAME! Maybe some of you can actually relate to some of these issues too (those that will admit it) and will see some humor in it. All Windows upgrades before Vista, simply and easily installed and upgraded without issues. I wrongly expected the same for Vista. Again, this video was made to help you (and my customers) decide what to do and to expect some issues. Please don't Pre-Judge.

Comments
NightFlyyer ::: Favorites
Sorry, but I'm not making fun. Most comments are people are being wrongly sarcastic of my old looking computer acting like they have it all. I am more thrifty than that, and have the latest parts in that old case, including a Hard drive dock. How many have that? I paid for every part in mine too.
07-05-31 22:37:50
__________________________________________________
peegirlpee ::: Favorites
Ive been running Vista since the week it came out...so many probelms..but most have been fixed and it runs great! I love the box openning joke! But i kinda hate in ur Description you make fun of use young people (im 16) well I had to pay for every part in my computer and I dont have unlimited funds..pssh
07-05-31 22:31:25
__________________________________________________
NightFlyyer ::: Favorites
Upgrades were always easy, so as not to loose all your programs. Of course that is what I tried first, as in the past. I totally agree now, that fresh install is best, but much more labor intense having to install over 30 programs I had!
07-05-31 14:48:42
__________________________________________________
kennyatshop ::: Favorites
i installed vista ultimate on this computer of mine and it only took me 45 mins, upgrade is useless becasue most of your programs arent going towork anyways, and ull have to reinstall them or run around and try to remake shortcuts for everyhthing it is alwasys best to do a fresh install , then you never have problems... fresh installs are the best way to go.
07-05-31 14:32:51
__________________________________________________
NightFlyyer ::: Favorites
Of course, fresh copies are easy and fast. Again, I was trying to upgrade first. Reinstalling all your programs and their online updates is what takes time, if they still work at all.
07-05-30 10:58:49
__________________________________________________
Artorious07 ::: Favorites
So another words Mr.gates and crew are becoming police...No this isnt a police state...
07-05-29 16:23:54
__________________________________________________
LoudS1l3nc3 ::: Favorites
Alright, you couldn't install vista: YOU ARE DOOMED. In three months from now your programs will start to work wrong in XP. All your games will be rewrited for Vista, so if you install any update it will be totally incompatible with XP. Multimedia formats will be different to work with Vista's anti piracy systems, so you wouldn't find anything in mp3 or divx format. Microsoft is forcing the companies to make their products slightly incompatible with XP, so everyone will have to install vista.
07-05-29 07:55:58
__________________________________________________
campermortey ::: Favorites
Well despite all the negative comments and the frustration you have had to deal with, I appreciate the video especially since I was curious about how the installation of Vista ran, but didn't feel like purchasing a copy quite yet. Here's to hoping you better luck!
07-05-29 03:48:30
__________________________________________________
Superdude688 ::: Favorites
I installed windows vista buisness ed. over my windows xp pro install on an old system... 800mhz socket A duron cpu, 384mb pc100 sdram. OWND TO THE FACE!! i overclocked it to 920mhz cpu and 148mhz ram for the hell of it too, vista gave the cpu a 1.8 score and the ram a 1.6 score. the video card killed it tho, with a 1.0 score. nvidia riva tnt 16mb 2x agp ftl? but yeah, it took 2 hours. but the point is, it works. a tad slow, but not unbearable. i did it for kicks and it amuses me.
07-05-28 22:08:38
__________________________________________________
LoudS1l3nc3 ::: Favorites
"... it seems that it's totally incompatible with EVERYTHING i've got in my coputer..." XD
07-05-28 18:16:00
__________________________________________________

No comments: